RE: shutdown abort warnings

From: Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:31:41 -0400

"fundamentally if you don't trust crash recovery of your database it's time to find another database. "

That says it all.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Prime Services Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com
www.credit-suisse.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:51 AM
To: TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com
Cc: Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: shutdown abort warnings

and indeed David is listed as working on a Y2K project, so I doubt it's a case of 'still talking about' and more a case of 'date your white papers then everyone will know when they are written'. I have to say that the idea of shutting down a database instance in order to kill an orphaned o/s process seemed fundamentally wrong headed to me.

On shutdown abort itself - well I trust Oracle to recover after a power failure, I know crash recovery did have issues in some antediluvian versions, but fundamentally if you don't trust crash recovery of your database it's time to find another database.

Niall