RE: shutdown abort warnings

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:07:30 -0400

We have had Oracle support tell us that a shutdown abort can in certain rare circumstances cause corruption. The practical reality is the option seems safe as long as you do not use try to make use of the database data files for backup or transporting purposes before Oracle has been restarted and allowed to perform crash recovery.

I would use shutdown immediate and only resort to shutdown abort when the immediate was not working fast enough or a serious problem existed on the database like the day my OPS database started performing recovery for the other failed instance on both instances (not a good thing).

  • Mark D Powell -- Phone (313) 592-5148