RE: Weird Objects in DBA_SEGMENTS

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:12:42 -0400

These are in Recycle Bin.
If you want to get rid of them:

purge reciclebin;

Igor

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of April Wells Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:42 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Weird Objects in DBA_SEGMENTS

I have spent the morning cleaning out a tablespace in an attempt to reclaim 800 GB of space and clean up my production data warehouse. To this end... I ran a BUNCH of

ALTER TABLE <table> move tablespace <tablespace>;

It "appeared" clean... nothing in dba_tables or dba_indexes.

However, my life can't be that simple.

The paranoid dba on my left shoulder urged me to look at dba_segments... so I did.

select owner, segment_name, partition_name, tablespace_name, segment_type from dba_segments where tablespace_name = 'STAGEDAT01';

there are a bunch of segments named similar to

BIN$Rxl0mZVtGWjgRAADupYzGQ==$0

They "apparently" are tables and indexes.

There are, however, apparently no actual extents... because

select * from dba_extents where tablespace_name = 'STAGEDAT01';

returns only the plan table that I want to drop anyway

anyone have any ideas on what these BIN segments are?

Thanks in advance.

ajw

Confidentiality Notice!
This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other writings are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) identified above. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the receiver of this information is not the intended recipient, or the employee, or agent responsible for delivering the information to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reading, dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender by return email and delete the electronic transmission, including all attachments from your system.