RAC on Oracle VM [was: Re: Oracle on VMWare]

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:17:22 +0100

Hi Jaffar!

I have successfully installed a 2 node RAC 11g system on paravirtualised Oracle Enterprise Linux 5. It's a test system for myself and RAC on 11g but so far I'm blown away by how "fast" it feels. All Xen-based systems use a bare-metal hypervisor compared to, say VMWare Server and Workstation which require an existing OS in the first place.

Setting up the virtual machines is really easy using virt-install, the only caveat is that I had to set my domU gateway to the dom0 IP address or it wouldn't pick up my NFS share. I export this from dom0 with the contents of the DVD for a NFS install of the guest OS.

You can of course also use one of the Oracle supplied disk images from OTN but that's only half the fun.

Oh, I almost forgot - if you don't want to play with the internals of Xen networking, the easiest way to get the public and private NICs is to have 2 physical NICs on your VM Server. You then define your vif as in: vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:09:c4:fe, bridge=xenbr0', 'mac=00:16:3e:09:c4:ee, bridge=xenbr1' ] in your domU config file. During the guest OS installation anaconda will detect 2 network cards which are bridged to your VM Server's NICs.

Regards,

Martin

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:23:30 -0700
From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com> Subject: Re: Oracle on VMWare

In coming few days we are going to have test/development RAC databases on Oracle VM. I would really like to share my expereince once the deployment is done. Meantime, It would really interesting to know the pros and cons of using Oracle VM.
Jaffar
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Apr 15 2008 - 06:17:22 CDT

Original text of this message