FW: Oracle on VMWare

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:15:14 -0400

We have several Oracle development systems on VMware and a lot of SQL Servers both production and development and haven't noticed any significant problems. I have had the VMWare rep in my office and given him a good flogging to determine what kind of problems I might encounter. I'm not an expert but I am watching I/O. Proper storage configuration is going to be essential to make sure these VM's are contending with each other on the storage device.

The big deal is license management on VMWare. That's why we aren't going any further with it for Oracle servers. You have to license for all the physical CPU's on the server whether or not you are using them. Of course, with Oracle VM's you don't have that problem.

Donald Freeman
Database Administrator II
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of Health
Bureau of Information Technology
2150 Herr Street
Harrisburg, PA 17103
dofreeman_at_state.pa.us

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Blanchard William Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 10:21 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Oracle on VMWare

Is anyone running Oracle (10g) on VMWare? Have you had any difficulties? We are considering placing some production systems on VMWare so that we can better control resources consumed by individual applications. We have completed an install and have been monitoring the database to ensure that there aren't any problems with running an "empty" database (backup, memory, etc) as a proof-of-concept for a couple of weeks now so we know that it can be done.

William