RE: ASM - hardware mirroring vs. Oracle mirroring

From: Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:38:39 -0400

I didn't say that RMAN doesn't work with ASM. I said that "there are certain operations in, e.g., RMAN, that aren't supported with ASM". This was based on co-workers' comments regarding a database migration to a new server.

I just checked with them to clarify, and what they said is that if you're migrating a database to a new machine, and you're using ASM, RMAN is the only way to go, and the RMAN clone process requires an "open resetlogs" of the copy after recovery. This caused a problem for them, as the database in question uses Streams, and the resetlogs meant that Streams had to be set up anew in the migrated database. They wanted a way to copy the database (including online redo logs) and open it normally, and felt that the use of ASM forced them to use RMAN, which made this impossible.

In my addled Friday-afternoon brain I interpreted and oversimplified that information, so the statement in my post was incorrect.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Prime Services Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com
www.credit-suisse.com

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 5:11 PM
To: Baumgartel, Paul
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: ASM - hardware mirroring vs. Oracle mirroring

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com> wrote:

        I understand that many people use ASM in conjunction with Symmetrix, etc., but I don't see how just pooling the storage and presenting it to the database is worth the effort (and the limitations, as there are certain operations in, e.g., RMAN, that aren't supported with ASM).

RMAN does work with ASM.

As for the practicality of ASM, I am currently not planning to use it. (You never know, I could change my mind in the future)

We are moving to NetApp storage, and I also don't see the advantage of ASM.
NetApp pretty much covers any expandibility (new drives, etc) features that ASM
might have.

My mantra has been pretty much to keep our Oracle environment as simple as possible
without making any serious compromise.

My employer has 1 DBA - me. I have much more confidence in being out of office when
the landscape is not unnecessarily complex.

--
Jared Still

Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic communications disclaimer: http://www.credit-suisse.com/legal/en/disclaimer_email_ib.html