RE: lsnrctl passwords

From: Blanchard William <William.Blanchard_at_kohler.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:05:20 -0500

Thanks to everyone for your help. We figured out how to add the correct language to our startup and takedown scripts to account for the password. We're still not sure if we're going to use a password but at least we know how to implement it correctly.

William

From: Ben Wittmeier [mailto:Ben.Wittmeier_at_gov.ab.ca] Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 2:43 PM
To: wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu; Blanchard William; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: lsnrctl passwords

I also thought that you could start the listener without a password; you just couldn't shut it down without supplying a password. But since I wasn't sure, I decided not to bring it up... Ben

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of William Wagman Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 1:32 PM
To: William.Blanchard_at_kohler.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: lsnrctl passwords

Greetings,

I'm pretty certain that in 9i the listener will restart after a reboot even if it is password protected.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Blanchard William Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 9:00 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: lsnrctl passwords

Wouldn't they need access to your network in order to access the listener? I know that you can set up a similar entry in a listener.ora and remotely access the listener (I did this to prove it) but I was behind the firewall. I tried from home but wasn't able to access the listener using the same technique.

Another question is that in 9i you can't do a save_config and have to enter the password interactively in order to use the listener. So, after a cold backup and a server restart, someone would have to manually restart every listener.

Has anyone figured out how to script this? We tried but weren't able to figure out how to script the password entry so that our startup scripts would work with a password protected listener.

William

From: Andrew Kerber [mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 10:44 AM
To: Blanchard William
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Several things they could do, for one they could turn off logging when you need it. They could also turn on logging, fille up the drive that the log file is on, and stop your listener, they could shut down the listener so no one could connect. ALl of these could be accidental or on purpose, but a password makes it harder to do either way. Also, most Sarbanes-Oxley compliance checklists require it.

It is a pain to deal with even so.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Blanchard William <William.Blanchard_at_kohler.com> wrote:

Is anyone out there using lsnrctl passwords? If so, why? I realize that there are vulnerabilities but if they're able to get at the network, why would they waste their time on the listner?

William

--
Andrew W. Kerber

intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named