RE: ASM - hardware mirroring vs. Oracle mirroring

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:26:35 -0400

Unless you mistrust your hardware multiplexing solution for some good reason you should do it in hardware or the software volume manager at the lower level. The ASM capability is there to guarantee you don't have live without redundant storage even if your hardware fails to provide that capability. A possible exception is if you have two relatively nearby sites (two buildings on a campus or even two datacenter rooms in a large building) with ASM handling the redundancy between two entirely separate storage arrays. (In that case you might consider both.) See BAARF if anyone tells you to use some form of redundancy that is less than a one-for-one multiplexing.