Re: Oracle 10gR2 Multi-Terabyte Database Cross-Plathform Migration Method

From: Finn Jorgensen <finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:11:07 -0400

Hi.

As can be seen in the below query HP Tru64 is Little Endian and AIX is Big Endian, which prevents you from doing DB X platform transports, but you can still do tablespace x platform transports as you suggest.

  1* select * from V_$TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM order by platform_name

PLATFORM_ID PLATFORM_NAME                            ENDIAN_FORMAT
----------- ---------------------------------------- --------------
          6 AIX-Based Systems (64-bit)               Big
         16 Apple Mac OS                             Big
         19 HP IA Open VMS                           Little
         15 HP Open VMS                              Little
          5 HP Tru64 UNIX                            Little
          3 HP-UX (64-bit)                           Big
          4 HP-UX IA (64-bit)                        Big
         18 IBM Power Based Linux                    Big
          9 IBM zSeries Based Linux                  Big
         13 Linux 64-bit for AMD                     Little
         10 Linux IA (32-bit)                        Little
         11 Linux IA (64-bit)                        Little
         12 Microsoft Windows 64-bit for AMD         Little
          7 Microsoft Windows IA (32-bit)            Little
          8 Microsoft Windows IA (64-bit)            Little
         20 Solaris Operating System (AMD64)         Little
         17 Solaris Operating System (x86)           Little
          1 Solaris[tm] OE (32-bit)                  Big
          2 Solaris[tm] OE (64-bit)                  Big

19 rows selected.

Since you have to convert every tablespace in this scenario it will still take a long time. If you could have done DB X platform transportation you would only have had to convert the system tablespace and any other tablespace containing UNDO.

I would be very leary of running any size database (much less multi terabyte) across NFS, but maybe that's just me. There was a recent discussion of this very topic on this list. There may be some tips for you there. Perhaps you could look into if it's possible to first mount the SAN disks to the Tru64 server in location Y, restore the tapes and bring up the standby as you suggest. When you're ready for the migration, you then dismount the filesystems and move the SAN storage to the AIX server and mount them there. I'm not sure if that's doable in your scenario. If you were all Veritas VM/FS I think it would be.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Finn