RE: ORA-01445: cannot select ROWID from, or sample, a join view without a key-preserved table

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 23:45:04 -0700

Peter Teoh wrote:

> select rowid, table_name from dba_tables where table_name = 'r'
>                               *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01445: cannot select ROWID from, or sample, a join view without
> a key-preserved table
>
> Check the internet but provide no reason, leads.   Neither does
> "oerr" help - nothing mentioned for cause and action.

What are you trying to accomplish by selecting the ROWID pseudocolumn from DBA_TABLES? DBA_TABLES is a view that joins a number of real SYS tables like TAB$, etc. It isn’t really meaningful to ask for ROWID here. I think you might be meaning to use ROWNUM.

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net