Moving DR site from 30miles to 1600miles

From: Ravi Gaur <ravigaur1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:39:04 -0500

Hello all,

We are planning to move our DR site which is currently about 30 miles from production site to ~1600 miles away. We currently have a 4-node RAC setup on our production site that houses 3 production instances (all 10.2.0.3 on Solaris 10). The SAN is Storagetek and we use ASM for volume management. In our testing, we are hitting issues in network transfer rates to the 1600-miles site -- a simple "scp" of 1GB file takes about 21 minutes. We generate archives at the rate of approx 1GB/8minutes. The network folks tell me that the TCP setting is a constraint here (currently set to 64k window-size which Sysadmins here say is the max setting). We have an Oc3 link that can transfer @ 150Mbps (that is what the networking team tells me).

I've an SR open w/ Oracle and have also gone thru few Metalink notes that talk about optimizing the network from dataguard perspective. One of the notes I came across also talks about cascaded standby dataguard setup (one standby local pushes logs to the remote site).

I'm trying to collect ideas how others are doing it under similar scenarios and if there is something we can do to utilize the entire network bandwidth that we have available to us.

TIA,

  • Ravi