Re: ** latch free wait contention

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:58:08 -0400

No offense please but before I type anything else... This is a typical candidate for a reply with reference to (http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html )

Now back to the topic.

Most *probably* it's not the root cause of you problem but a symptom and there's probably no point fixing the symptom itself. You might get some lessons about the latches from this list but that might not be what you need at this point.

I would recommend to provide more details about your issue - starting with what is slow. After that you would have some options like system wide analysis with Statspack/AWR or scope down to a slow functionality if you can and use ASH or extended trace.

So the investigation *might* be like that: 1. Identify what's slow
2. Confirm that latching is your current bottleneck for the functionality that's slow
3. If it's latching indeed, determine which latch it is (might be straightforward in 10g but less obvious in 9i) 4. Here is when your question below becomes valid with additional information which latch it is about and rephrased by not asking not how to increase timeout but how to avoid latching or make waiting on latches lower.

You might have actually gone through this sequence already but so far I can conclude only the opposite based on how you form the question.

Alex