Streams archived_log downstream capture - ORA-16191

From: John Hallas <john.hallas_at_bjss.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:28:36 +0100

I am trying to set up a Streams archived_log downstream capture between two 11.1.0.6 databases and I am having problems in getting the archive log files to transport over to the target database where they will be read and applied.

First steps was to change log_archive_dest to use log_archive_dest_1 and log_archive_dest_2

log_archive_dest_1 = 'location=/u00/oradata/TEST1/archive'

log_archive_dest_2 = 'service=perf03 noregister template=/export3/u01/oradata/TEST/archive/%t_%s_%r.dbf'

I have ensured that the passwd file is set up on both sides and the sys password is the same and that remote_login_passwordfile is set to EXCLUSIVE.   In V$archive_dest I see an error of ORA-16191

Primary log shipping client not logged on standby

Cause

An attempt to ship redo to standby without logging on to standby or with invalid user credentials.

Action

Check that primary and standby are using password files and that both primary and standby have the same SYS password. Restart primary and/or standby after ensuring that password file is accessible and REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE initialization parameter is set to SHARED or EXCLUSIVE. I don't think I need to make any changes on the target database to actually get the files across as I am not trying to read them as yet.

The service name works and I can connect remotely and I have re-created the password file as well. I am sure I have missed something simple but I cannot see what it is.

Any ideas please

+44 (0)113 223 2274 (direct)

+44 (0)113 297 9797

The information included in this email and any files transmitted with it may contain information that is confidential and it must not be used by, or its contents or attachments copied or disclosed, to persons other than the intended addressee. If you have received this email in error, please notify BJSS. In the absence of written agreement to the contrary BJSS’ relevant standard terms of contract for any work to be undertaken will apply. Please carry out virus or such other checks as you consider appropriate in respect of this email. BJSS do not accept responsibility for any adverse effect upon your system or data in relation to this email or any files transmitted with it. BJSS Limited, a company registered in England and Wales (Company Number 2777575), VAT Registration Number 613295452, Registered Office Address, First Floor, Coronet House, Queen Street, Leeds, LS1 2TW