Re: Force an ora-600?

From: Tim Gorman <>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:17:14 -0600

If it no longer causes an ORA-00600 in 11.1, then it's about darned
time they took care of that...

ORA-00600 is supposed to be a "catch-all" for unforeseen or unhandled errors, like an "assert()" function in "C".  I recall being able to generate the OERI-12235 by simply entering "oracle" at the command-line since at least Oracle v6;  hardly an "unforeseen" or "unhandle-able" exception to have "argc == 0" -- every single blessed "C" program I ever wrote handled that, if when I was just goofing around...   ;-)

Charles Schultz wrote:
Perhaps this is no longer true for 11g ( Linux RHEL4.

Jeremiah Wilton, your suggestion worked wonderfully, thank you. I also found that "blissful_ignorance" works quite well, also. =) No to go surprise my fellow DBAs....

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Tim Gorman <> wrote:

Just type in "oracle" at the UNIX command-line (assuming you're on UNIX, haven't tried it on Windows), and you'll get an ORA-00600 [12235] in the "alert log" file.  Great way to wake up the DBAs... ;-)

Hope this helps...

Quoting Charles Schultz <>:

Good day, List,

I am playing with 11g and want to experiment with the Fault Diagnosability
Infrastructure. I would like to force an ora-600. I thought there was an
event one could set to crash smon with a ora-600, but looking through
$OH/rdbms/mesg/oraus.msg, I cannot find it. Anyone recall it off-hand?

Or if I could force a bug, that would be nice. So far the bugs I have found
for are not reproducible. Especially when the testcase is not

PS - gotta love those events that tell the customer "do not set this event".
Isn't that just asking to be set?

Charles Schultz

Charles Schultz