Re: More on Oracle Support

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:19:50 +0800

I think that it would be good [for us] if Oracle would seperate Product Support and Update Support.
We certainly want Update Support to continue. But Product Support could be priced based on a combination of a) Number of Calls (Incidents)
b) Complexity of Calls

There is [or used to be ?] an "Incident Support" option but that doesnt differentiate by complexity / nature of calls.

Hemant K Chitale

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." Mohandas Gandhi Quotes
: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html

At 11:22 AM Friday, Alex Gorbachev wrote:
>Well, the model of Oracle Support is flown in principle. You pay
>pre- defined amount of support fees per year and the less they do for you,
>the better the business. If there is competitive service available -
>such approach could benefit only in very short term. But you can't
>simply change support vendor - you do need updates and access to
>support in some cases so you can't change them to another competitive
>provider. Unless you are willing to change to another database but I'm
>not sure if support from other DB vendors is better.
>
>This is why existence of strong user communities, such as Oracle-L, is
>great. If you need more than community support, there are other
>service providers that can apply more intensive therapy to your Oracle
>databases and, perhaps, provide special skills to deal with Oracle
>Support. You can call it advanced support if you wish.

Hemant K Chitale