RE: Solution to "9.2 - Parallel Query Not Working"

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 10:17:48 -0400

Hilarious indeed. Now, being a recovering paranoid (aka no longer an operational DBA), I would urge you to carefully consider why someone would disable parallel query from an entire consumer group.

As the delerium tremens of rampaging paranoia race through my gray matter, I being to suspect there are a sufficient number of hard to find jobs spawning parallel queries at times inopportune for interactive performance so that this limitation was imposed to treat the symptoms. Of course if the DBA was sufficiently lazy (or sleep deprived) that could have been one job, but it was just too much trouble at the moment to track down how it was spawned.

Anyway, be on the lookout for jobs that have newly (re-)acquired the characteristic of running in parallel.

The latter is an oft seen symptom of refusing to grant (or being sluggish in implementing) control over cron on a particular server to a mere DBA, who nevertheless can access the database remotely from somewhere said DBA does have cron. All of these are yet more reasons DBAs, storage managers, and system administrators should work together closely and be mutually supportive of each other and each other's choices in beverage. Beyond beverages, the single best bond is a jointly administered shared maintenance of the 365.25, 24x7 schedule of automatically run jobs.

Regards,

mwf