Re: asm on serveral nodes (no RAC)

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:44:32 -0500

Alex--good point. I am guilty of frequently ignoring licensing issues in technical discussions, but you're absolutely correct to bring it up. However, I don't know the answer in this case. I suspect that you would have to have a RAC license, but I'm only guessing.

I generally regard RAC to be limited to RDBMS, so even clustered ASM doesn't constitute "having RAC" in my book.

No matter what angle you take, I don't think I'd create a clustered ASM configuration to support multiple servers with single-instance databases. If I wanted to share a single storage area between multiple development servers running single-instance databases, I'd use a clustered filesystem. The licensing for OCFS2 is pretty cut-and-dried :). I think that's what I said before (just realized it though, so it's nice that I came to the same conclusion twice in a row).

Dan