RE: Data Guard Rman Vlidation Question

From: Carel-Jan Engel <careljan_at_dbalert.eu>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:48:44 +0200

Tom,

In an HA environment I advocate to have as few complexity as possible. That includes as much symmetry between primary and standby(s) as possible.
Some reason for symmetry: less parameters, less server-specific actions. If you're working at the standby (after a failover) it is helpful if that standby (now the primary) is not different from the environment you are used to. It simply helps avoiding to make mistakes. There is enough stress around a failover, you can do without additional 'complications'.

If you can create symbolic links to reflect the original directory structure, why not have the mountpoints named identically at both sides? at least that is an 'approved' solution ;-)

Best regards, Carel-Jan

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===