RE: Limit on number of columns in an index

From: David Kurtz <info_at_go-faster.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:34:11 -0000

I think you might be confusing Oracle's Global Temporary tables, with what PeopleSoft calls a temporary table or record.

PeopleSoft creates multiple copies of working storage tables it terms 'temporary records'. Different instances of the same Application Engine batch program are allocated to different tables. Thus preventing processes from contending on shared tables. This allows the programs to use TRUNCATE instead of DELETE, and it also allows different versions of the table to have different CBO statistics

see
http://blog.psftdba.com/2008/01/global-temporary-tables-and-peoplesoft.html

You could replace these tables with Global Temp Tables - but you would have to disable the restart capability on the App Engines (which counts as a customisation) and you would have to create the tables manually, rather than use the PeopleSoft Application Designer.

If you want to make the tables into IOTs, you are going to have to create the table manually. App Designer won't generate the DDL to create IOTs. Also PeopleSoft does not create primary keys.

PeopleSoft often truncates and repopulates working storage tables. Have you considered use of the APPEND hint. Though again, this would be a customisation of the application code.

regards

David Kurtz
Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.
tel: +44 (0)7771 760660