RE: copy tablespace in one database

From: Stephens, Chris <chris_stephens_at_admworld.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:59:41 -0500

From the description below, tablespaces seem irrelevant. Just create table <original table name>_hist (or whatever convention you want), build the indexes necessary for and sql or dml that will be performed against the history tables, and create a procedure to 'insert /*+ append */' (assuming recovery consequences are acceptable) the data from the original tables into the history tables prior to the original tables being 'cleaned' out. You may need to add a date column to the history table.

You aren't copying a tablespace. You are copying data from one table to another. Whether they are in the same or different tablespaces is irrelevant, at least for the description you provided.

If I'm way off base, please provide a more accurate description of what you really need to do.

chris

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Wojciech Skrzynecki Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:51 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: copy tablespace in one database

Hello

I plan to copy data from all tables to the new tables in new tablespace every night. Why? Old tablespaces will be purged every night and I have to have old date

I think that I have two options:

First

I have to copy tablespace to the new with new name plus date e.g. tablespace "name" to the new name_date.

Second:

Create tables in new tablespace "as select" but what can I do with indexes?

I do not know if first options is possible.

Maybe you have any idea to help me.

Rgds.

Wojtek

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
        This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.