"Groundhog's Day" and DBMS_SCHEDULER

From: Wittry, Dan <dwittry_at_havigs.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:49:12 -0500

Our users have application data and programs such that, for testing, it is easier to set the OS clock back. So every morning, like the movie Groundhog Day, the QA servers have a sudo script to set the clock back to 14Feb2008. This causes Oracle grief such that time-based RMAN recovery is no longer an option, as well as our current challenge: the DBMS_SCHEDULER. The default MAINTENANCE_WINDOW_GROUP has a NEXT_START_DATE of 01MAR2008. Since these servers experience déjà-vu on a daily basis, the built-in jobs such as AUTO_SPACE_ADVISOR_JOB, GATHER_STATS_JOB, etc never get run.

Since I'm only familiar with the basics of DBMS_SCHEDULER, does anyone out there experience Groundhog's Day and what challenges do you experience? How do you resolve your issues? Specifically, what is "best" way to get the built-in Oracle jobs to run? Currenlty I'm playing with DBMS_SCHEDULER.set_attribute (name=>'SYS.WEEKNIGHT_WINDOW',attribute =>'start_date',value=>systimestamp + interval '10' second).

__thanks in advance

Daniel Wittry

Sr. Database Administrator, Global SCI

HAVI Global Solutions (http://www.HaviGS.com)

phone 630-493-7789

Email: dWittry@haviGS.com

This e-mail and any accompanying documents or files contain information that is the
property of HAVI Global Solutions, that is intended solely for those to whom this e-mail is addressed
(i.e., those identified in the "To" and "Cc" boxes), and that is confidential, proprietary,
and/or privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that any viewing, use, disclosure, forwarding, copying, or distribution of any of
this information is strictly prohibited and may be subject to legal sanctions.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately of any unintended
recipients, and delete the e-mail, all attachments, and all copies of both from your system.

While we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachments to this e-mail
have been swept for viruses, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a
result of software viruses.