Re: Migrating 9i to 10g performance issues

From: Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:46:13 +0000

We had major problems and tried many routes. The idea of transportable came up at a
panel at UKOUG in Birmingham. We found that export just died when it tried to create very large files, It took a long time because I had to do tests at weekends - thats why I suggest a spare box where you can test opening the new baby at leisure. yes you have to go to 10g but it works - other methods - notabley export do not!, I founds that there was little knowledge at Oracle on doing this - but it was a couple of years ago now.

On 25/03/2008, Jost, Jörg <Joerg.Jost_at_unitrade.com> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 25.03.2008, 07:10 -0600 schrieb Sandra Becker:
>
> > I was told that in order to use transportable tablespaces, the endians
> > had to be the same. Is this incorrect? I'm already practicing and
> > have ruled out some possibilities.
>

> If you go the way supposed by Mayen, first migrate, than transport,
> you're wrong. Oracle 10g supports Transportable Tablespaces over
> different endianess. Oracle 9i does not.
>
> See Database Administrator's Guide Chapter 8 Managing Tablespaces. There
> is an example scenario which can help to dig into it.
>
> So i think, that way is worth a try.
>
> hth

Howard A. Latham