Re: vxfs_checkpoint and database recovery

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:43:31 +0800

Look at the alert.log file . When you issue the RECOVER DATABASE command you're
probably getting warning messages for the datafiles being
"fuzzy". That would happen if

you issue a RECOVER against datafiles that were not either of

  1. shutdown
  2. alter database||tablespace begin backup
  3. RMAN backup

In theory, you might be able to use those checkpoints for *Instance Recovery* making
Oracle assume that someone "pulled the plug on the server". But not for Media Recovery.

Hemant K Chitale

At 02:50 AM Thursday, David Turner wrote: We're playing around with vxfs checkpoints, Netbackup checkpoints, and we were initially surprised to see that we could take backups of our

<snip>

Also, is there a different option that I should be using with Netbackup for checkpoints to make this work? In this phase we do not want to incorporate RMAN or any Oracle scripts if possible. The SA's want as complete a separation as possible.

Thx, Dave

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital
and
http://hemantscribbles.blogspot.com
and
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Mohandas Gandhi Quotes
: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html