Re: Building a 10gR1 RAC

From: Martin Klier <>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:38:20 +0100

Allan Nelson schrieb:
> I've been tasked with building a 10gR1 RAC around
> <>. I have been reading the
> <> site and he uses RHEL 3 with a 2.4 kernel. Does
> anyone know if I can do this with RHEL or Oracle Linux at the 4 level
> with a 2.6 kernel?

I don't know RHEL, but SuSE. I have been working with RAC and 2.6 Kernels since 10gR1 is out, I can't see any advantage in choosing 2.4. But keep the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL hack in mind, as well as vm.disable_cap_mlock for the hugepages.

> Also, I have heard that it is possible to run a
> higher version of clusterware than the database. For example, are there
> any good reasons to run clusterware from 10gR2 with the 10gR1 database
> software?

Basically the release 2 of 10g is much more stable than 10gR1, so you should consider using R2 whenever possible - so as well for the Clusterware CRS. As example: You can use a non-certified NFS for the 3rd voting disk, and you can dynamically add/remove clusterware system disks (OCR/Voting) in Release 2 of CRS.

Best regards

Usn's IT Blog for Linux, Oracle, Asterisk