Standby for testing and Flashback

From: Ravi Gaur <ravigaur1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:44:43 -0500

We have a 10gR2 production database (~1.4TB) that has a physical standby on a remote server. The developers and DA folks want to utilize the standby for configuration testing of some new tools and we're leaning towards the flashback option in 10g.
A high level thought is to -

1) Defer the archive log destination on production
2) Setup flashback redo-logs on the production database
3) Open the physical standby for RW
4) Allow the developers to work in it and make changes
5) At the end of the day, use flashback to restore the database back to
being a standby. Generate/apply a new standby controlfile, if needed.

Anyone thinks this is going to work and has actually done anything similar? I'll really appreciate if anyone can share the steps there.

TIA,
- Ravi Gaur