Re: sync up production to UAT for a 500G+ database

From: Keith Moore <kmoore_at_zephyrus.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:03:42 -0500 (CDT)

I don't know if this fits your needs, but we have started using Veritas Space optimized snapshots. We are also using Solaris zones, so what we do is:

  1. Put database in backup mode
  2. Create snapshot
  3. Take database out of backup mode
  4. Mount snapshot on another Solaris zone
  5. Startup and recover database on snapshot zone.

The entire process takes about 5 mintues.

As long as no changes are made on the original database or the snapshot, they are both looking at the same data blocks. Any changes that are made on either database are tracked separately, so that each database only sees it's own changes.

There is a performance impact on the production server, since the first time a block changes, the pre-image is copied to the snapshot area. So far that has not been an issue for us.

We also use the same technolgy for backups. We've only been using it for about a month, so still don't have alot of experience.

There are licensing costs, but don't have any idea how much. That's not my job.

Keith