Re: sync up production to UAT for a 500G+ database

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:29:25 +1100

Exactly. Let's recap for a second:

The original point was that *for a test
database*, Mirrorview (or similar SAN
replication) is cheaper than all the
paraphernalia required for DG.
That implies *not* using DG when using
Mirorview. Therefore, all considerations about DG in such an environment are
irrelevant.

I'd suggest we leave the subtleties of
parallel DG licensing and its relative
merits out of this.

The subject was a functional test
database and its associated costs.

Not a full-on HA environment in which of course other considerations kick-in.

Point is simple: done in a sensible manner, SAN replication is much cheaper for non-critical test database duplication than the current Oracle EE+DG licensing.

That may not be the case in future or may not have been in the past. It is now.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto