Re: Question re DataGuard

From: Paul Moen <moen_at_pythian.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:41:06 +1100

Hey Bill,

Here are my answers.
BTW, I highly recommend you read those PDFs that Ray linked.

The managed recovery process (MRP0) does not persist through a database restart. You will need to restart with the command again. sql> recover managed standby database disconnect;

If you need to shutdown the standby database use

sql> recover managed standby database cancel;

The recovery of the database does persist, in that like every Oracle database it has its sequence# to determine where it got to and where to begin again.

There are bunch of v$ views for monitoring from primary or standby depending on the version

you can watch the standby progress using (MRP0 process will show what it is doing)

select * from v$managed_standby;

The dataguard section of the manual has the rest of the views, plus some troubleshooting tips.

Don't have a non-production standby handy atm, however I think Oracle will just flag an error and just continue as before, something along the lines of "recovery already started"?

I have written a bunch of articles on standbys at http://www.pythian.com/blogs This doesn't make me anymore of an expert, I just work with standbys as many of our clients use them for redundancy and also as a database to run backups from. I just post on the stuff I discover.

Hope this helps

Paul

Paul Moen
The Pythian Group Inc (Australia)