Re: Oracle 10g and Standby Database Setup

From: Mark Brinsmead <>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:01:16 -0600

If you can dig it up, you may want to refer to the old Oracle7 documentation. I am told (although I have never verified personally) that the old procedures for building a and maintaining an Oracle7 "standby" database work just fine with Standard Edition.

In its most basic form, at least, all DataGuard does for you is provide a mechanism to transfer archived redologs and automatically applying them to the standby. Providing you are on a UNIX-like platform, neither operation is particularly hard to script. You need little more than SSH, SCP, SQL*plus, and a little imagination.

I have seen one or two such scripted solutions for 9i and 10g Standard Edition, and they do a very good job of emulating DataGuard in "maximum performance" mode. Sadly, they are not mine to share.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:34 AM, Ronnie Doggart <> wrote:

> All,
> Does anyone have any white papers or step by step examples of setting up
> an Oracle 10G environment with a standby database that does not use Data
> Guard.
> This is for an Oracle 10G Standard Edition environment.
> All pointers welcome
> Ronnie Doggart
> The information in this message is confidential and may be legally
> privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message
> by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any
> disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or
> omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in
> error.
> The views and opinions expressed in this email may not reflect the views
> and opinions of any member of Lagan Technologies Limited, or any of its
> subsidiaries.
> Lagan Technologies Limited is a company registered in Northern Ireland
> with registration number NI 28773. The registered office of Lagan
> Technologies Limited is 209 Airport Road West, Belfast, Co. Antrim, BT3 9EZ.
> --

-- Mark Brinsmead
Senior DBA,
The Pythian Group