Re: 10gR2 RAC on RISC or X86-64 hardware

From: Jeremy Schneider <>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:45:55 -0500

Hey Jared - this email is worth copying the list . :)

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Jared Still <> wrote:

> I'm not a HW guy either, nor do I play one on TV.
> But I do know some HW guys. The common nickname for Itanium is 'Itanic'
> Make of it what you will.
> The current IO champ in price/performance is not Intel, but AMD Opteron.
> Don't know if it has been through TPC, but I do know some folks that
> understand
> IO and CPU's down to the bit level, and their choice is Opteron. I
> believe HP has
> a line of servers with this chip.
> Very fast with Oracle.
> Jared

FWIW I ran Kevin Closson's "silly little benchmark" on some Opteron 8218XE's and Xeon L5320's a couple months ago -- and the Opterons cleaned house. Kevin had a series about the Opterons too. I completely agree that they're very good processors.

I've also heard that the Itaniums aren't that great, although I don't have any personal experience. They do seem to have lower priority for receiving Oracle patches and support and such. I was just pointing to the TPC website because it might be useful in trying to persuade a manager to consider Intel alongside IBM. :)

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL