Re: Partition exchange

From: Darrell Landrum <darrell_at_landrum.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:53:47 -0500

I could see the partition exchange from partitioned table in tablespace A to heap table in tablespace B taking a long time and I could guess that it would be possible for a full table scan involving all partitions to occur for index maintainance (are any of the indexes global?) or other reason that I'm not thinking of right now. I also agree with you that the partition exchange from heap table in tablespace B to partitioned table in tablespace B should be pretty quick, but there still may be a matter of index maintenance. I've done this exact type of operation for similar reasons, but dropped the indexes first and rebuilt afterward so I'm in part guessing until I can test as well.