RE: question about statspack

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:45:59 -0400

While skewness could allow for a very small number of these waits to be the 3 seconds, that is probably still too small to worry about.

But, and again subject to skewness on the averages, I'm wondering whether the average of a little over 2,000 of these waits per second might be injecting some significant context switching overhead.

That depends partly on the number of cpus, and of course a second is about an eternity now. Still, some part of the applications you are running may be driving line turnarounds for exceedingly small amounts of work and that in turn might be symptomatic of doing too much row by row processing. or it could be completely benign. If that is your worst wait event you probably have things really humming.

I tend to agree with Jared's smiley face.