RE: datafiles on NFS?

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:35:15 -0400

While I am a huge fan of NetApp, in fairness, there are more vendors that are certified for Oracle NFS than just NetApp. EMC, BlueArc, HP's Storage Gateway (formerly PolyServe), and some others all have certified NFS platforms. Kevin Closson, who worked for PolyServe pre-HP acquisition, has written about Oracle on NFS extensively.

http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/manly-men-deploy-oracle-with-fibre-channel-only-oracle-over-nfs-is-weird/

Thanks,
Mat

--

Matthew Zito
Chief Scientist

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Greg Norris Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:18 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: datafiles on NFS?

I've got a 9iR2 database on an AIX server which is currently experiencing some SAN problems. The SysAdmins have indicated that we need to move off the SAN for several days while they address the issue, and has suggested that we relocate the database to NFS in the interim. My preference would be a backup/restore to another server, but we unfortunately don't have any other AIX systems available, and the application has some constraints which prevent us from migrating to another OS at present.

I'm somewhat reluctant to use NFS for Oracle datafiles, largely because we simply haven't done this for any other environments, but I'm not sure that I have many options in this specific case. Is anyone doing this? If so, is there anything in particular that I should be sure to check/address?

Thanx!

--

"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records.

To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Mar 11 2008 - 10:35:15 CDT

Original text of this message