RE: Creating DB on partition > 2TB

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:35:45 -0800

Someone else suggested that, I tried it and it worked. I had opened an SR on that as well and the analyst offered that suggestion as well. He also indicated it is not registered as a bug either.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of William Wagman [wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu] Sent: 06 March 2008 22:30
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Creating DB on partition > 2TB

Greetings,

I have installed Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 on a server running Centos 4, 2.6.9-67.0.4.Elsmp. This is a new server and installation. I am using the DBCA to create the database which initially will only be 2GB. The partition on which I am attempting to create the database has nearly 3TB of space and when I attempt to create the database dialogue box is presented with the message...

You do not have enough free space
You need 1845248KB
You have -1570091008KB

Oracle is telling me that the DBCA is unable to properly compute space on a partition > 2TB and suggests either creating the database manually, the scripts were created, or dividing the disk into partitions < 2TB. I haven't yet tried to create the database manually as I am concerned about whether or not if the DBCA gets confused with such a large partition that Oracle will also get confused.

So, I'm looking for suggestions or experiences with similar situations.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center