RE: Questions on using RMAN to backup a RAC database with TSM

From: <krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:14:41 -0700

Yes and that is the way to effect an alternate host restore. I typically use the PARMS/ENV mechanism to emit the NB_ORA_CLIENT. What you refer to is active passive clusters, where you can float the VIP - essentially the database(instance) follows the VIP. This is documented in the Veritas/Symantec Support notes.

That is not the case under RAC where instances don't follow the VIP. You can force connections through one VIP but then you have deal with capacity issues. While I have not tried this, you could effect the same behaviour with an application VIP, which, however, will not eliminate capacity issues.

Under RAC I have used the auto locate capability to search a backup piece in multiple channels each of which is configured with a different client name; more flexible and consequently a tad more complicated to manage.

I vaguely remember that under TSM you can emit a variable to direct the channel to a configuration file and perhaps that may be a way to effect the alternate host restore mechanism.

Regards,
-Krish

Krish Hariharan
President/Executive Architect, Quasar Database Technologies, LLC http://www.linkedin.com/in/quasardb