Re: os authenticated accounts

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 22:18:10 -0700

Is checking the source IP in a trigger reliable?

I do not recall the source, but I had the impression that that information is provided (directly) by the client, not by the TNS listener, and can (relatively) easily be spoofed. Also, the method would break down -- or be tricked -- when using "proxied" connections, e.g., port-forwarding through SSH, or possibly Oracle Connection Manager. (Never used the latter myself.) It would also be problematic if there are NAT-enabled firewalls anywhere along your network route.

Every case needs to be judged on its own merits, but basically it is my practice to award REMOTE_OS_AUTHENTICATION=TRUE an *automatic* "Fail" on any security review, even (or especially) where there are no EXTERNALLY IDENTIFIED accounts present in the database. While I have never actually attempted to "hack" or "spoof" it, my understanding is that it is all too easy.

For those who can afford it, though, the Advanced Security Option and/or Database Vault offer secure alternatives, I believe. I have stumbled across these options myself while answering similar questions, but it has been so many years since I've been at a site with pockets deep enough (or business needs serious enough) to actually consider these expensive options, I have never really investigated them in any real depth.

*sigh* Working for regulated utilities *did* have its advantages... :-)

Of course, the O.P. only asked "is this possible?", and the answer is "yes, it certainly is". What a shame he did not ask instead "is this wise?".

:-)

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com> wrote:

> I have always preferred to set the os_authent_prefix='' rather than
> OPS$.
>
> I am not sure if trying to limit the node access is practical since I do
> not think the node checking can be associated to usernames in the sqlnet
> layer. You might need to resort to checking the IP for any OS
> authenticated accounts in an after logon database event trigger.
>

> -- Mark D Powell --
> Phone (313) 592-5148

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead