Re: Oracle DBA future

From: David Taft <oradbt054_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:33:01 -0500

Ranko,

The best DBAs I work with,

1) Understand the needs of the business (think Method-R)
2) Have excellent problem solving skills, and
3) Are solution oriented, i.e. their focus is on how to resolve the issue,
not on why it can't be done.

This type of DBA (or any other professional) will always be in demand. Personally, I have been a full-time DBA in a large production environment since 1999. I have always taken the approach of trying to work myself out of a job by automating processes where possible, writing well documented procedures and training less experienced or newer staff to do the same job. While I have succeeded at working myself out of various tasks over the years, I have yet to succeed at working myself out of a job.

Cheers,

David

...I'd like to hear what's the opinion on future of our profession and which