RE: high "latch: cache buffers chains" waits in 10.2.0.3 DB

From: <krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:30:48 -0700

I still maintain that divide and conquer and partitioned problem solving yields more deterministic results than trying different solutions. To that extent, I believe that, the MTS is a way to isolate the activity originating from the web services. There is perhaps a beneficial side effect of MTS, the number of processes afforded to the Web processing is capped and to that extent it cannot overrun the server.

I agree with Greg that the free lists is not relevant to your problem to the extent that the query is the consumer of resources. And that brings up two aspects related to the CPU consumption and run queues.

  1. Process creation while has gotten cheaper in modern architectures is not free. To that extent MTS will reduce the CPU run queues (I concede that session creation is far more expensive than process creation and does not compare database activity that follow).
  2. The Query could be processing a larger number of blocks. That the number of processes is growing suggests that the ones that have been submitted are not completing (assuming a run away condition or a large number of users hitting the back button and revisiting the page has been ruled out). See works by Cary Millsap and several others on logical IO.

Thus I believe the tactic should be to buy time and introduce stabilizing factors and then tackle the fundamental problem.

Regards,
-Krish
Krish Hariharan
President/Executive Architect, Quasar Database Technologies, LLC http://www.linkedin.com/in/quasardb