Re: DBWR - How Many is Too Many?

From: Robyn <robyn.sands_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:02:16 -0500

David,

I would suggest that you check SAP documentation and Oracle's AIX specific documents for recommendations on db_writers and async_io before making changes. Several things came to mind after reading your post and Paul's question:

  1. I used multiple db writers for our SAP system due to issues with async i/o on HP-UX. You don't have these same issues on AIX and thus, multiple db_writers may not be your best answer.
  2. Our SAP database is one third the size of the database you've described (we archive a lot of data with SAP archive tools). We used mirrored drives for all data files, and data files were spread over about 65 data file mount points. Writes on RAID-5 will be your biggest issue and SAP is write intensive.
  3. Still suggest that you gather system stats to get some numbers on read and cpu speeds.

Here's a link to Oracle's recommendations for 9i on AIX:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/html/A90347_02/appa_aix.htm#631246

Robyn

--
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
where I needed to be.