RE: Alter Table - Invalid Object

From: Sidhartha Upadhyay <Sidhartha.Upadhyay_at_reuters.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:18:31 -0500

We always compile INVALID objects as part of change (in your case ALTER TABLE).   sqlplus / as sysdba:
SQL> @?/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql

btw, "Dba_Dependencies" can provide you details on dependent objects.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sanjay Mishra Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:58 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Alter Table - Invalid Object

Hi

I want to understand that if I alter some table which has lots of other dependent objects like Package,procedure,view etc. These dependent object will be invalid. Do I need to compile them or some of them will be compiled automatically when they are executed again by the application. Any Reference to check as what will be invalidated and at which condition like when the actual column been used in the db objects are modified or even table is subjected to DDL.

TIA
Sanjay

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>

This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company. To find out more about Reuters visit www.about.reuters.com

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Limited.

Reuters Limited is part of the Reuters Group of companies, of which Reuters Group PLC is the ultimate parent company. Reuters Group PLC - Registered office address: The Reuters Building, South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP, United Kingdom Registered No: 3296375
Registered in England and Wales