RE: Which Linux??

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:31:14 -0500

Arul,

Since Ubuntu is a Debian-based distribution, you'll need to "fix" some stuff before running the installer, and you'll need to run with the -ignoreSysPreReqs option. If you do a Google search for "oracle on ubuntu 7.10", you get lots of hits.

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies ProQuest

ProQuest...Start here.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Arul Ramachandran Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 7:19 PM
To: david.cheyne_at_gmail.com

No question, CentOS is a good choice.

But, it does not work on the Dell Vostro 200 desktops. CentOS 4/5 does not have the drivers (I believe) for the new SATA in Vostro and I couldn't get to install... at the moment it seems to me ubuntu is the only choice.

Are there any issues in installing Oracle10g/11g on ubuntu?

thanks,
Arul

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 12:54 AM, David cheyne <david.cheyne_at_gmail.com<mailto:david.cheyne_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi,

Many thanks for the responses. It seems that the out right winner was Centos! So . . . just installed it!

Thank you to all.

David

On 21/02/2008, Amar Kumar Padhi <amar.padhi_at_gmail.com<mailto:amar.padhi_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

I use Fedora, pretty good to run Oracle on.

Thanks!
amar

David cheyne wrote:
People,

I am thinking of running at 10/11g on a FREE Linux. I know the amount of patches you need to stabilise Oracle and get it running can be an issue, SO . . .Of the many flavours out there, which do you consider the best and most stable? I've used Solaris and HP-UX for many years, so know my way around UNIX well.

Your thoughts please. . .

--

David Cheyne
BA(hons.)