RE: Can I pass a parameter into an RMAN Script?

From: Elliott, Patrick <patrick.elliott_at_medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:47:15 -0600

One way to accomplish this is to "CONFIGURE" the backup you want to execute in the database. Then your rman script just needs "backup database". All of the other settings are stored in the control file. Look up the syntax for the "CONFIGURE" command.

Pat

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sam Bootsma Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 10:45 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Can I pass a parameter into an RMAN Script?

Hello all,

Oracle 10.2.0.3, Enterprise Edition, on AIX 5.3.

In our RMAN backup scripts for our AAA database we have several format lines that look like:

format '/san2/orabackup/AAA/CTRL_%d_%T_%p_%s%t';

The same lines for our BBB database looks like:

format '/san2/orabackup/BBB/CTRL_%d_%T_%p_%s%t';

Because of this difference in the format lines I need to create and maintain separate RMAN scripts for each database. If I could pass a parameter into the RMAN script, then I could have just one RMAN script and call it with a parameter specifying the database name.

Can anybody tell me if this is possible? Or must I continue to create separate RMAN scripts for each database I wish to backup? I checked the Oracle docs, but could not find anything that spoke to what I want to do.

Thanks,

Sam Bootsma

Oracle Database Administrator

Information Technology Services
George Brown College

Phone: 416-415-5000 x4933
Fax: 416-415-4836
E-mail: sbootsma_at_georgebrown.ca <mailto:sbootsma_at_georgebrown.ca>

Confidentiality Note: This message contains information that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, disclose, distribute or take any action based on this message. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this message. Although ICAT Managers, LLC scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses. Thank you.

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE]

Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records.

To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com