wierd locking issue

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:28:50 +0000

10.2.0.3
Linux Redhat

I have code that adds and drops partitions. I am constantly getting this error. I am doing a few things to track this down and alleviate it.

  1. at the beginning of the execution of my package I issue: alter session set ddl_wait_for_locks=true;

now I thought that with this set to true, I would just wait when adding or dropping a partition instead of erroring out?

2. Inside my exception block, I run the following query and dbms_output the results to the screen:

  cursor cur_get_lock is
    select a.*,b.object_name
    from v$locked_object a, user_objects b     where a.object_id = b.object_id;

I get no rows returned and this is fires in the exception block which is triggered when the error is fired? So I would guess the lock is occurring in a fraction of a second and then ending.

any ideas?