Rapid Log Switching

From: Weatherman, John <John.Weatherman_at_asurion.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:58:23 -0600

All,

I'm on RH 2.6.9-42.ELsmp x86_64 Linux, running 10.2.0.3. I've been having a lot of log issues for the last week. Thanks to some help here, I seem to have the worst of it under control now.

However, last night I began seeing log switches every 6 minutes. The logs are 20M in size, but are switching between 2-6M. We do have log_checkpoint_timeout set, but it is 1800 seconds (30 minutes), not 6 minutes.

Does anyone have any ideas what other than the timeout or the log filling up would cause a log switch? It's not manual and it's not backups, it's been too consistent and too long for either of those to make any sense. I'm not aware of anything else that should be triggering log switches and haven't been able to find anything suspicious with Google or Metalink.

TIA,   John

John P Weatherman john.weatherman_at_asurion.com

Sr Oracle DBA Desk: (615) 762-1376

Asurion, Inc                Mobile: (615) 517-2831