Re: Flashback database versus RMAN

From: Niall Litchfield <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:41:22 +0000

We have a training environment that is a copy of production with some setup for training courses done. Flashback database after the course is over is much nicer than re-clone. It strikes me that it might make a good "poor man's Real Application Testing" environment as well - at least for the what-if type testing that RAT enables.

On Feb 19, 2008 5:51 PM, Brian Lucas <> wrote:

> Outside of reinstantiating a primary database after a failover in Data
> Guard, are there any compelling reasons to use Flashback database versus
> RMAN for a 10gr2 database that's only about 100GB in size? It definitely
> seems like RMAN still holds the advantage.
> I like flashback query and flashback table but I'm having a hard time
> swallowing the need for flashback database.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA