RE: Licensing costs

From: Tony Aponte <Tony_Aponte_at_Jabil.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:41:41 -0500

Would that be Aware Technologies - The Oracle Licensing Experts?

Tony Aponte

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Finn Jorgensen Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:07 AM To: niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com
Cc: jhthomp_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Licensing costs

There's a company that specializes in helping companies reduce Oracle license costs. They can get paid an up front fee or a percentage of the savings etc. I met them at 2006 OOW, but they've changed name since then and I can't remember their name for the life of me.

Finn

On 2/19/08, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Did you consider SE for this. I've just gone to the Oracle store (and found it moved and is on apps 12!)

dual node rac install on SE = £33k.

dual node rac install on EE = £119k.

Neither of these quotes have any discount. If you can live without EE and don't mind paying 25% of the price this might work for you. To be honest given that you could be running SE on quad-core chips for the same price EE takes an awful lot of selling to me for most applications these days.

Niall

On Feb 19, 2008 1:58 PM, John Thompson <jhthomp_at_gmail.com> wrote:

To get an idea of how much it would cost to license a point of sale database on Oracle and commodity hardware/software, we requested a quote for a 2-node RAC on Dell 2950's 2 Dual core's per server. Quote was $306k. Business choked and said to look for an alternative solution. It's hard to argue with them with costs like that. We're currently having to house about 30 db's on each of the 3 production servers we have because of the licensing costs. Tunning, planning downtime is a true nightmare not to mention we cannot gurantee SLA's are met because of the influences of these other databases. I'd like to silo each database, but that's out of the question with that kind of cost. How are others dealing with the high cost of Oracle?

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

--