Re: Licensing costs

From: Allan Nelson <anelson77388_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:50:13 -0600

Yeah, we quoted a 3 node RAC with the same Dell boxes you are looking at and with partitioning and some management packs for Grid Control, list was about $874,000.00. I'm pretty sure that Oracle's "official" position is that you should not be running their software on commodity hardware at least that's the message that comes with the pricing irrespective of what their marketing position is.

As far as how we deal with it, our thinking to this point is to expand our existing HP architecture and use a previous negotiated agreement with Oracle to keep the costs down.

With the number of cores going to 4 in the Dell line and later to 8 as Intel releases those chips it seems the Oracle will price themselves right out of that market.

Allan