RE: RAC Question

From: Binh Pham <binhpham15_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:58:54 +0000

tnsping has no issue at all and response time are the same for all aliases, however, remember that tnsping only tries to see if the socket is reachable. Connecting to the database obviously is more than testing the socket availability.

I'll look into this myself a little more next week.

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:10:10 +0000
From: pjhoraclel_at_gmail.com
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: RAC Question

Hi,
Maybe because you have load balancing on it takes a long time to decide which node/instance to use? I hope not, because I am setting up this scenario for a production system. Is there much of a difference in the result of a tnsping to the different aliases?

Regards

Pete

On Feb 15, 2008 1:00 AM, Binh Pham <binhpham15_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

I've just created two node RAC cluster (11.1.0.6). The installation configured TNSNAMES as followed. Question: Connecting from SQLPLUS and other products to the database from my workstation to the RAC alias takes a long time before established. However, connections to RAC1 and RAC2 alias are instantaneous. Any idea? Thanks. RAC = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oelvip03)(PORT = 1521)) (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oelvip04)(PORT = 1521)) (LOAD_BALANCE = yes) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = RAC.WORLD) ) ) RAC2 = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oelvip04)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = RAC.WORLD) (INSTANCE_NAME = RAC2) ) ) RAC1 = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oelvip03)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = RAC.WORLD) (INSTANCE_NAME = RAC1) ) ) Regards, Binh Pham Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now!

--

Regards

Pete

Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! http://biggestloser.msn.com/