Re: Dimensioning datafiles (smaller pieces, medium big ones ?)

From: Peter Hitchman <pjhoraclel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:39:03 +0000

Hi,
This is a question I am thinking about to. My set-up is Oracle 11.1.0.6.0, OEL 4 64bit, RAC, Storage on EMC SAN mostly hardware RAID 5.
One of the things that bothers me with going with large files (and given the size you mention this means a bigfile tablespace), is will the backup software solution be able to handle it? In my case this is Tivoli Storage Manager. I will be backing up using RMAN most of the time, so from that respect it does not matter, but what if for some reason I need to do a none RMAN backup and then found that TSM does not handle files over 2Gb properly even on a 64 bit system!
On the other hand, I have experience of a 8.1.7.4 database that had nearly 6000 datafiles and that had a noted impact of the efficiency of certain v$views.

Some how I think I will be taking a middle path, given that I will be partitioning most of the tables in the schema using hash and range/interval partitioning. Also I am using ASM, so I have also thought that having a small number of large files might prevent it from being able to spread the data in the most effective way, but at the moment I know very little about ASM. Regards

Pete

--
Regards

Pete