Re: "latch: cache buffers chains" wait in NON-RAC Benchmark Runs

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:18:34 -0000

My comment on the Metalink note was:

>> The biggest problem with the Metalink article is that it supplies a
>> ridiculous
>> query to report the "problem object" from the child latch address.

If you read the Metalink note you would see that they first tell you how to find the child latch address before telling you a bad way of using it.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

  • Original Message ----- From: "VIVEK_SHARMA" <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com> To: <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> Cc: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:47 AM Subject: RE: "latch: cache buffers chains" wait in NON-RAC Benchmark Runs

Thanks Jonathan for responding & the clarifications

U wrote -> "select obj, tch from sys.x$bh where hladdr = '6F9CBE00' -- adjust as necessary"

How is the Value of "hladdr" to be specified for our NON-RAC database?

Oracle 10gR2

Cheers

Vivek

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lewis [jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk] Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 9:39 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: "latch: cache buffers chains" wait in NON-RAC Benchmark Runs

The biggest problem with the Metalink article is that it supplies a ridiculous query to report the "problem object" from the child latch address. Do NOT run that
query on a real production system.

You have to temper the touch count with knowledge aboutwhat MIGHT have been happening to the objects.To help you address the problem, you may get more cluesfrom a simple statspack/awr report - find the SQL that doesmost gets, and check the segment statistics for the objectssubject to most buffer gets - cross reference to see if thetwo sets of information are consistent, then see if youcan reduce the work done by those statements. Regards

Jonathan Lewis